Friday, December 16, 2011

Maxwell Moppy Herrin

Crazy week! My best friend and first doggy love, Max is not feeling well. He has always had allergies and skin rashes and infections and ear infections and you name it, he has had it. I could have bought a car with the money I have spent at the vet trying to keep him healthy and happy. This week, however, was a bit different. He changed drastically and quickly. He seemed to lose about 3 or 4 pounds overnight, and he started vomiting for no apparent reason. My first thought was a parasite. I was so worried when I dropped him off at the Vet on Tuesday morning. I could hear her over and over in my mind saying we had to put him down. That was a scene I could not fathom. After x-rays and blood work, she could not tell me what was wrong. She said that he had lost 4 pounds and had a mass around his liver, but they had no idea what the mass was. She said that it might be gall stones, but she was pretty sure it wasn't, and it could be cancer, she wasn't sure. She seemed to think that there was a possibility that it was a severe infection of some kind. The only way to know for sure if it was cancer was with an ultra sound. I thought about what she said and then I realized that if it wasn't gall stones, then it COULD be cancer. I did not want to know that. If we had the ultrasound and it was cancer, what would change? Nothing. The only difference would be that I would be waiting for him pass on and that was not a path I wanted to go down. So, I decided against the ultrasound. She gave him a shot of a heavy duty antibiotic and a prescription for more antibiotic to take by mouth. He seemed to be feeling better on Wednesday and seemed better each day. I am now praying for him each day and hoping that God will let him stay with me for a few more years. Sometimes, not knowing is the best thing...don't you think?

No comments: