Friday, June 26, 2009

Gardening with Herbs Then and Now

I have been downsizing and working on simplifying my life. In this process, I have been cleaning closets, cabinets, bookshelves and various other things in my home. As I have been working in my office/studio, I have discovered that I have a large variety of books on growing herbs. When I started growing herbs in the early 90's, I wanted to know everything that there was to know about them, and so I bought every book I saw. Not only that, I kept every article from every magazine and newspaper that I came across. Needless to say, I have a vast collection of herbal information. I even started files with a single file folder for each herb and began collecting material and filing it in these files. Over the years those files have grown and are now bulging with clippings, articles, snippets, poems, pictures, recipes, medicinal information, etc. I have decided to scan all these pieces of paper into my computer and store them on a flash drive. The amount of space I will gain by doing this is just tremendous, not to mention the fact that all my information will be right at my fingertips at anytime that I need something. It is amazing to me that when I started in the 90's, I didn't even own a computer, just a greenhouse, large backyard gardens and books, books and more books. We have certainly come a long way in technology, and little did I know then that someday I would have all this info in a little notebook computer that I carry around with me............

'til tomorrow

No comments: